Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I've Been Fooled...


Started the morning by warning my boys that it was April Fool's Day...I could see their little minds and hands, spinning with excitement as to what they could conjure up! Having dropped them off to school and proceeding on my way...I forgot all about this tricky little day. I deposited my preschooler and headed to our daycare to find a big note on her door that said, "Daycare closed for the day - Sorry for the inconvenience". My stomach dropped thinking I would have to bring my little cherub to work with me, as she is entering the "terrific twos". But as that dog gone flu is running ramped in our neck of the woods, I spun around, ever so gently on those wooden stairs and the door flew open, behind me. I kept my distance as I asked her if they've been hit with the flu and she taunted me with the ole' "April Fools" line. I had been Had! Ugh. And I warned my children of this nasty day! ha! As one does after they have been ribbed, I set out to terrorize friends and family with silly little jokes...and I succeeded! Do you know where this day came from in history???? The history of April Fool's Day or All Fool's Day is uncertain, but the current thinking is that it began around 1582 in France with the reform of the calendar under Charles IX. The Gregorian Calendar was introduced, and New Year's Day was moved from March 25 - April 1 (new year's week) to January 1.
Communication traveled slowly in those days and some people were only informed of the change several years later. Still others, who were more rebellious refused to acknowledge the change and continued to celebrate on the last day of the former celebration, April 1. These people were labeled "fools" by the general populace, were subject to ridicule and sent on "fool errands," sent invitations to nonexistent parties and had other practical jokes played upon them. The butts of these pranks became known as a "poisson d'avril" or "April fish" because a young naive fish is easily caught. In addition, one common practice was to hook a paper fish on the back of someone as a joke.

6 comments:

The Country Junction said...

Karen I LOVE the new look!! I'm wanting to do a new look for my blog too, I need to fancy it up with tags and such! Good job!!! Love your April Fools story!!
~Cheryl

~Tonya said...

Too funny! They sure got you. I bet you were like...what now. LOL

I didn't play any on anyone. Next year. I also love your new look. I noticed it right away.

Hugs,
~Tonya

Karen said...

Thanks, Cheryl!! I wanted something more cheery and light...got Spring fever, something horrible! ha! Your site looks great, Cheryl, who ya kiddin'?!

Karen said...

Hi Tonya!! I was doing the ole' "what now"...ha! You could still be an April Fool's Procrastinator!! I am! ha! Thanks for the sweet compliment!!
Hugs, Karen

Anonymous said...

Rofl! How cute! Our dd woke me up with an April Fool's Joke! LOL Your bloggie looks BEAUTIFUL! :)

Karen said...

Aaaah Miss Jenn, you and Shawn - ROCK! ha! Thank you, thank you...couldn't have 'the look' without you! BIG HUGS, Karen